RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: sub ops

Hugh we have 26" freebord on KSS Eurosub against waves with the outer sail mounted.
Theoretical the out sail can be easy removed for use in lakes or protected water.
But no one of the pilots did it or feel to do so.

Without the outer sail the hatch freebord will be reduce to just 12".
This is the freeboard against flooding. Not bad - but a to low figure for a boat used also in open waters.

On KSS Eurosub you can stand with three person on the deck - boat empty and two of this guys in front of the sail on the bow deck and the boat is still pretty stable. But if somebody like to go to the aft bollard it is whise that still  one guy is standing or sitting on this bow deck..

The freeboard agains wave influence on CSS Euronaut is 2100 mm or 83" and against flooding 55".
And stability is calculate that way that you can carry a Abraham tank on the deck.
Hmm.. Okay.. maybe a smaller one..

The freeboard of CSS Sgt.Pepeprs is just 142 mm or 6 inch..
But this boat was never designed to run with open hatch on the surface.
For this reson the boat has a breathin snorckel.
We later realise that the boat can be driven with open hatch on the surface- because the driver half out
block the hatch 98% so water can not easy go in.
Even Sgt.Peppers is  pretty stable on the surface with one man standing upright on the saddle tanks.

Most important issue on the design steps for a submarine is the pressure hull calculation and the stability calculation. Special the one in longtudinal direction..

vbr Carsten