RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Manned Submersibles channel on Vimeo

Sorry, there's a typo below... I meant "1080p"

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Smyth, Alec
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:20 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Manned Submersibles channel on Vimeo

Hi Marc,

Actually it has the same sort of functionality for description,
comments, view counter, etc. as Youtube. It's just that the channel is a
list of shortcuts. Click on the video title and it will take you to a
details page for that piece. If you don't see a button for leaving
comments, it might be that you need a Vimeo profile to do so, but that's
free.

It's been a while since I uploaded anything on Youtube, so this might
have changed, but what killed me about it were two things; the ten
minute cap on length, and (far worse) the fact I had to use compression
settings that degrade the quality enormously. To give you an idea how
much they degraded quality, in the 2009 PSUBS Convention video there is
a long scene shot through the bow viewport of Aquarius, with the bottom
moving by, and you see all sorts of things going past. When I tried
uploading that one on Youtube, the compression had reduced the shot to a
solid green color with no discernible objects at all. Vimeo has neither
the time limit nor the quality downgrade. You can even upload 1280p
footage, although few people have a monitor capable of such resolution
yet.

The other good thing about Vimeo is that it is where professional film
makers and or film students post their work. I find the typical Youtube
video to be someone's uncle falling off a chair, but in this place it's
mostly worthwhile stuff to watch.

Thanks,

Alec