Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

OOPS!!  Gravitational acceleration, as with any linear acceleration, should be in terms of displacement divided by time squared.  ( g = 9.80665 [m/s^2] ).  Sorry for the typo.

-Sean

On 08/12/2010 6:48 PM, Sean T. Stevenson wrote:
Jinesh - what you are asking is a pretty basic physics question, and I don't want to make any assumptions about your background, but I would like to be sure that you are working within your comfort zone with this stuff - otherwise the results could be disastrous.

That said, as a good reality check for any calculation, if you are unsure, check that the units work out.  For example, when you supposed:

>> Is it just,  depth = (P.allowable/density of water)

If you look at the dimensions of each quantity, pressure is force divided by area, and density is mass divided by volume.  Illustrating this with SI units, dividing pressure [N/m^2] by density [kg/m^3] gives you [N*m/kg] or [J/kg], which is specific energy - obviously not a depth unit.

To answer your question, the pressure at a given depth is found by the equation

P = rho * g * h, where rho is the fluid density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column.  For example, at a depth of 800 meters in salt water:

P = 1025 [kg/m^3] * 9.80665 [m/s^2] * 800 [m] = 8 041 453 [N/m^2] or [Pa], or 8.04 MPa, relative to the sea surface.  Standard atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa which would then be added to this value to get the absolute pressure.

-Sean