Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] speedo

Hi, Ian,

Yes, even with extensive test data, an accurate Water Speed Indicator (WSI) is highly valuable (somebody help me with the proper terminology).  And a good WSI is going to be the best method for securing the test data for base performance charts to begin with.  My point is that in any circumstance other than in proximity to a fixed point with good visibility, the WSI is only going to tell half the story or less.

If you can visually establish your position in relation to a fixed point and then maintain your position by adjusting heading and power, the WSI should accurately read the velocity of the current at that point and at that depth.

Jim