Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ASME PVHO

Sean,

Context is "maximum plus/minus deviation from true circular form" measured radially either inside or outside the shell.  The formula is used to determine the chord length for the template used to perform the measurement.  The PVHO document states that this section is a replacement of UG-80(b)(2).

Lc = 2R sin (pi/2n)

c = 2.28(R/t)^0.54 is-less-than-or-equal-to 2.80

Sorry can't do subscripts and stuff with this mailer.   The "^" character in "c" formula is "raised to power".

Hugh,
The only way I was able to get a number less than 2.8 was to use "1" as the radius and ".9" as the thickness.  For any reasonable dimensions of a manned vessel, R/t will never equate to a number smaller than or equal to 2.8.

Jon