Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Me

John,

One of the best investments of time (or money) for learning about submersibles would be to buy a copy of the book Manned Submersibles by R. Frank Busby.  It answered so many of my question as well as bringing up other things I had not yet considered.  I'd suggest reading it through completely first, then re-read it and take notes chapter by chapter.  The second reading will be more meaningful because having an overview will enable you to better understand each chapter you are reading.  It will also help you better understand the content of the e-mails that go back and forth. Later, read it a third time.

We're all learners.  There are some people on this site who are highly experienced and knowledgeable, and each of us benefit greatly from what they generously share.

Taking a good SCUBA course would also be very helpful.  I don't mean one of the one-day wonders that some resorts offer, but one that truly educates you.  We could refer you to local resources, opportunities, and events if we knew where you live or what school you attend.  There are a number of decommissioned submarines around the U.S. and the world that are open for public tours.  Many museums have a section related to naval interests including subs.

Generally the members of psubs openly share their background, occupation, experience, and interests.  We vary from those who have no plans to ever build a sub to those who have made more sub dives than they can count.  It's necessary to be open and candid in order to have effective communication.  This is one of the finest groups I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with - no pretense.  As far as I can tell, that's about the only requirement.

Best wishes to you,
JT