Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUBS Web Forums Proposal and Request for Idea's/Feedback.

Hi Stewart,

We already have a web based forum online at http://www.psubs.org/webforum which is selectable off of the main menu from our home page and is configured into various categories. It was created nearly four years ago, but it has never been a popular method for discussion with this group which is why I've never pushed it as a primary solution. There are pros and cons for both web and email based discussions, however we've made both methods available (I created the web forum over the objections of many people) and it appears that the email forum continues to be the favored "flavor". I have no specific preference and am comfortable with both types of forums.

Regarding having all data in one place, we have that available in our archives which can be searched and are browsable. While accessing specific data from the volume of material we have archived has been criticized, the fact is that a web forum would offer no more relief. A search of the web forum would still be required and that search would produce hundreds of entries that would have to be reviewed by the user. Categories are useful at a high level, but offer no advantage at a low level when looking for specific information.

In reference to photos, while a web forum provides the opportunity to attach a photo to the message you have to balance that against the effect on the reader. The problem today is that people have 6, 8, and 10 megapixel cameras that result in photos having huge file sizes and they typically do not think to reduce them in size prior to uploading. That can create problems for the reader since reading a specific topic means not only downloading the text but any attached photos in any of the responses of that topic. If a topic has a lot of discussion, with a lot of attached photos, you're looking at alot of data transfer.

In reference to members subs and project pages, I don't think the web forum provides any advantage here. Our current web site provides an easy to use menu based interface for updating photos and projects by members themselves. Here again, you have to think both sides of the coin and also account for ease of use by the reader. In a web forum there would have to be a separate topic for each project, and each topic would have a separate message for each photo uploaded. Since the layout becomes sequential, and the uploader would likely provide their photos in native format, you would end up at the beginning of topic with lots of big files to follow through. Separating the projects from the discussion, such as we have on the web site, allows the reader to target what they want to look at and be presented with thumbnail photos that download much faster and allow easier navigation.

Regardless, web forums have advantages and are a popular discussion tool. If you believe web forums are the way to go and the email discussion is not effective, I think your efforts would be better directed at convincing others of its virtues and getting people to contribute more to the web forum we currently have.

Jon