Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nautilus vs Skate

On 9/26/2010 2:04 AM, vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
George Kittredge served as the quartermaster for the Nautilus 90 North
expedition. It was an experiment and a PR stunt. Like going into space
the first time, they figured it was possible, but needed to prove it.
The mission was not a straight shot to the pole and back, but rather a
transverse trip from the Bering Sea to Greenland. As an aside, the
Nautilus was built along the lines of a WW II sub with twin screws. When
the decision to go to a single shaft was made, George and many others
with Pacific combat experience opted out of the nuclear program, and out
of the Navy.

Interesting. I wonder if subsequent operational experience confirmed Kittredge and company in their condemnation of single screws, or not.

Marc