[PSUBS-MAILIST] Nautilus vs Skate

The Nautilus was the first to traverse the polar ice cap.  It's been given credit for being the first to reach the geographic North Pole August 3, 1958.  The Skate was the first sub to surface at the North Pole (geographic?  magnetic?) on August 2, 1958.  The Seadragon surfaced on the same date and exchanged greetings with the Skate.  I don't know why the Nautilus is given credit instead of the Skate.

Sometimes confusion enters the picture when establishing dates in the Artic and Antartic because of the International Date Line.  I don't know if that was factor in this situation.  The Nautilus log was 2315 EDST.

Jim T