Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] safety systems

In a message dated 8/25/2010 5:12:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alanjames@xtra.co.nz writes:
In addition to what is said I'd suggest that the emergency marker buoy line
be of a floating type
Hi Alan. Not a bad idea to make the line a "floating" line, but the strength or diameter would be a problem.
If the buoy is released it should float up and keep the line free from entanglement, but like all things, shit happens !
The "floating reel" would help in keeping the line taut as it ascended but of course that wouldn't account for scenarios where there is an "overhead" hazard.
In Calif. there is a LOT of kelp and much of the best diving is in the kelp forests. If you can imagine a redwood forest with fog filtering through the trees, you get an idea of what the kelp looks like from below.
Very beautiful but also dangerous. I can see the kelp holding a buoy down quite easily. For this reason I had pictured a missile shaped buoy, and would include a locator pinger in the nose.
The "floating reel" could be played out through the bottom of the buoy.
Although I much prefer to be able to pull the sub up, I still have made provisions to flood the sub for escape. Just hope I never have to use them.
Frank D.