Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] safety systems

Hi Alan. I have spent considerable time thinking along these same lines about the release buoy. That sketch you included is pretty close to what I had envisioned. One difference is that the "reel" in that sketch appears to be part of the buoy that floats up. The "ice tongs" looking device for grabbing the sub is exactly what I had pictured in my mind. I priced out a 1000 ft. roll of 1/8 inch stainless braided wire a few months back and it was fairly inexpensive. Can't remember exactly but it was about $130 or so.
The lifting lugs on my sub are designed with just that system in mind.
Thanks for the sketch, and the "floating reel" idea.
Frank D.