Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Coating for ballast tanks

An interesting idea was offered some time back on using "Rhino Coat" like is used for pickup truck beds.
The company has several products available for different applications. One of their products is specifically designed for boat hulls. There was information on their site about this coating being used on salmon trawlers and other large commercial fishing boats with good success.
As I recall, the life expectancy was over ten years with proper maintenance and doing minor repairs to the coating was straightforward if the instructions were followed.
 Now, a boat hull is a lot easier to access than a closed ballast tank and Vance's suggestion for making access hatches large enough to get tools and materials inside the tank is a good one. I have often thought about putting a "window" of 1 inch thick plexi on each of my ballast tanks for inspection.
As you know, my ballast tanks are 12 gage 304 stainless but rust is still a problem. It just takes longer.
The tanks and mounting system are configured for easy removal. It takes about an hour or less to remove a ballast tank or re-mount it on the sub. Still, it would be handy to have an inspection window so watching for early signs of corrosion, checking for mussels, or maybe a little kelp gets sucked in there.
The cost of stainless sheet versus the work involved in repairing/replacing a corroded tank is something that needs to be addressed at the "design stage" of a sub project.
Anyway, the Rhino stuff sounded interesting to me.
Frank D.