Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ac unit

In a message dated 8/3/2010 8:54:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jonw@psubs.org writes:
The dangers of dry ice in an enclosed container such as a submarine cannot be dismissed.

Jon
Hi Vance, Jon, and all.
Yes, I can see the possible benefit of dry ice hardly makes it worth the risk of adding a CO2 source to the closed environment of a sub cabin.
Alan's idea of lowering the temp. of water ice with dry ice before putting it in the cooling chamber may be of some use..
I've used dry ice for several applications in the past and Jon's right. If it's put in a closed container, pressure builds rapidly. Much like liquid CO2, Liquid nitrogen, Liquid oxygen......very high pressures are used to keep them in that state. My apologies for a dumb idea.
Frank D.