Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ac unit

I recommend shelving the dry ice idea primarily due to the dangers of CO2 gas in an enclosed space.  Using CO2 in an enclosed space introduces unnecessary risks and requires more complex engineering.  It undoubtedly will cost more than using regular ice and you can't go wrong with H20.  Do not put dry ice in a sealed container!  Dry Ice sublimates and as it does so pressure increases enough to be highly explosive.  Just go to YOUTUBE and search for "dry ice bomb" to see kids playing around with the explosive effects of dry ice sublimation.

As we've all seen, sometimes "shit happens" when you least expect it.  There's no point in tempting fate.  When I was in college some group put on a "halloween show" and one of the acts was a group of kids who built a coffin and dressed up like undertakers.  The plan was to carry the coffin into the hall to Elton John's "Funeral for a friend" and then start dancing to "monster mash" at some point with someone dressed as a monster popping out of the coffin.  Someone got the idea to add dry ice to the coffin so that when it opened all the "smoke" would rise and create a great effect.  Well, in real time when the coffin was brought in, laid down, and then opened, they guy inside was blue and required immediate medical help all because of the CO2 buildup.  My point is that sometimes seemingly innocent acts can cause a really bad day when they aren't thoroughly thought through.

The dangers of dry ice in an enclosed container such as a submarine cannot be dismissed.

Jon