Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K250 to K400 modification

Hi Alan,

it seems this could be "fixed" by not operating the K250
outside of it's operational depth.  But I think you are
talking about modifying at K250 so it can rescue a sub at
400feet.

This would mean if there where any problems with the K250+150
then the occupants would be in more trouble than the occupants
of the 400feet sub (which presumably is rated to be at 400feet).

If the K250+150 be came entangled as well, rescuing that
sub would probably have to take priority over the original
SUBDIS.  This will also be a more complex, more dangerous
rescue operation, requiring the accent to be very controlled
so excess gas can bleed off.  If accent is not carefully
control (for example, a lift bag which is too large is used
resulting an uncontrollable rapid accent) there is the
risk of blowing out the view ports.

I think this method, although it could work, would be too
great of a liability to introduce to a SUBDIS situation.

A side note, the K250 should have been tested to 2x of the 250feet
operational depth (i.e. 500feet), if it was taken to 400feet
"in an emergency", then the test dive would have been 1.25x it's
current depth (which is the minimum ABS recommends)...  Still
a bad idea, but rescuing the K350+150 is less complicated if it's
not pressurized. [Note: I am not advocating operating a sub over
it's operational depth.]

I think another way of presenting this discussion is, what
about adding diver lockout capability to a K250, so the pilot
could leave the sub at depths of up to 135feet.  Either by
adding a bottom hatch, or flooding the hull (and blowing it
dry upon re-entry).

How we act in an emergency should be with the aims of reducing
the risks we are taking so as to ensure the situation does not
get worse.  We should not be introducing additional risk into
the situation in hopes of resolving it. (Or so I think anyway....)

Cheers,
  Ian.