Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulator Arm

In a message dated 5/4/2010 8:39:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jonw@psubs.org writes:
Frank Dalgleish was pretty interested in the manipulator and probably
spent the most time with it when we were in Holland for the 2007
convention.  He might have some info about it.
Hi Brian. Sorry for the late reply, I missed this message.
Anyway, I did check out Dan's manipulator arm during the 2007 convention. There are no plans available for it. As I remember he made it from aluminum pieces, stainless rods and some used Bimba air cylinders. He has a small electric pump and reservoir filled with vegetable oil inside the sub to operate it.
He made a through-hull plate with 5 or 6 small fittings in it. The arm is pretty slow but effective and I doubt it cost very much to build. I have a few pictures of it and I could send them to you. I've done searches for these before and there are lots of arms available and a few plans as well. Naturally if you wanted to buy a ready made one they can run many thousands of dollars but building a basic one like Dan's should be fairly simple. I remember seeing one made with a small battery operated screw gun motor and plexiglass but I doubt it would operate at any serious depth. Do a  Google search and I'm sure there are plans available.
Frank D.