From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 4:08 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] stainless vs aluminum

In a message dated 5/7/2010 6:45:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jimrudholm@gmail.com writes:

The first overnight outside and they had a thin rust film. The cure
was to soak the parts in acid to remove embedded iron from steel tools
including drills.

This brings up a good point. When working with stainless, pieces get embedded from tools. This is evident when using a wire wheel.......gotta use a stainless wire wheel. It'll get crusty real quick. Heat control and restoring a "worked part" back to clean solid SS is the only way to minimize corrosion. For small parts like brackets it's best to use 316L-SS so the cost is kept low. Larger pieces in 304 are OK but you must watch the seams, welds, and breaks ( folds ) for any corrosion and clean it right up before it gets to be a problem.

Using ZINC sacrificial anodes helps a lot too. They will cut your corrosion way down.

Frank D.