Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

Frank,

Thanks for that. The headers were confusing because I trimmed back the table a bit from a previous version. I've redone the column headings so they should make more sense now.

Column E is the area of the finished opening, divided by two. The standards say that for vessels under external pressure only, the reinforcement can be 50% of the area of the opening. So if the finished opening is 24 inches and the hull thickness is 1/2 inch, then the total cross-sectional area of the opening is 24 x .5 = 12. However, since we only have to replace 50% of that when building a submarine (as opposed to a steam engine boiler) the value becomes 6.

Column D is the diameter of the "finished" opening, of the nozzle (the red section in the diagram). It is different (and smaller) than the hole you have to cut out of the hull to insert the nozzle (length of red and green sections in the diagram). For example, if you want a conning tower with a 24 inch opening and the required thickness is two inches, then you are going to have to cut a 28 inch hole in the hull. However, once you insert the conning tower with full penetration welds you've now replaced four inches of metal leaving a 24 inch hole in the hull. So the standards refer to it as the "finished opening" since there is only one diameter to a circular hole or opening. However you could also refer to it as the ID of the nozzle or penetrator since the nozzle has thickness.

You've raised another good point that I forgot to mention in previous mail which is that these results are for cylinders, not formed heads of any kind including flat heads. Formed heads have their own formulas which I haven't looked into yet, and probably won't get to until after the convention.

Jon