Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

Hi Jon. Thanks for the clarification and also the hard work in making this whole thing more understandable.
My hope is to get an "operating depth" of about 300 feet with a big safety factor so I won't take the sub in any water deeper than 600 feet. This covers the bulk of continental shelf areas not counting trenches and/or canyons, etc. I expect to realistically stay around 150 feet most of the time but would like to reach the 300 foot level occasionally. This means a "crush depth" of 1200 feet would be the goal. That is..... double the maximum depth the sub could ever get to.
On the ring versus pad reinforcement, it could be possible to lay down weld beads around the nozzle so as to "build-up" the hull area around the openings. This of course would mean putting a LOT of heat into the area so some serious bracing would be required to maintain the geometry of the hull and ring. A MIG type weld machine can do this type of work fairly quickly as long as the welder had a good understanding of how the process affected the weld zone and proper pre-heat and cool-down procedures were used. It would be fairly simple to take the 1/2 inch hull and build it up to 1 inch thickness at around 3 inches past the nozzle area. A stress relieving treatment after finishing would be ideal to make the whole assembly a monolithic steel assembly. Once the work was done and the stress relief process completed, all the braces could be removed. There are a couple of ovens in my area that can put something as large as my hull into the oven and I will investigate the whole thing when I move back here. Looking at about two years in Florida.
 I checked out "hot dipping" in ZINC and there's a place near here that can do that too. I was surprised at the relatively low cost of having this done. I didn't get a real quote from the guys over there but the rep said a "ball park" figure  would be under $1,000.
If I build another one I think I'll just start with a stainless hull but for now this little boat has been a great learning experience, relatively cheap,  and along with you and the other guys in the club, a lot of fun working through all the  design and building processes.
Thanks a lot. see you soon.
Frank D.