Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

Hugh,

The benefit to the spreadsheet is that it gives a better visualization (top to bottom) of how to go about calculating this stuff. I can publish my program, but I usually find those more cryptic in terms of use than a spreadsheet such as you provided. Unfortunately, except for simple calculations I'm not as adept at setting up spreadsheets for this kind of stuff. But in any event, we'll get there eventually.

Jon

Hugh Fulton wrote:
Jon, I don't have the Steel vessel rules. I guess I can download them.
However Section 6.7 Reinforcement states that reinforcement ---"for external
pressure need only be 50% of that required by the rules"----
ASME is considered more conservative I believe and that was more familiar to
me.  I am a bit remiss not following up on the Steel Rules tho.
I am afraid I cant keep on with finalizing this thread at the moment as I
have a bit on.  As you say my spreadsheet requires knowing what is going on.
I was not suggesting that mine should be used and it is easy to change that
to make it more idiot proof.  I have updated mine since I sent you it with a
few conditional alarms but it does need tidying up.  References limits etc.
I did warn you that my spreadsheets are a bit messy as I am the only one
using them at present.  Regards,  Hugh