Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

Hugh,

It sounds like there should be some adjustment for the hull thickness when calculating the minimum radial thickness, otherwise you've got a constant that does not take operating depth (required thickness (Tr)) into account (as the height calculation does). Should it be 5% of the hole diameter plus the thickness of the hull?

Jon

Hugh Fulton wrote:

Jon, I have been thinking about hull penetrations for hatches and windows and looking at ASME / ABS. There is a very simple rule of thumb that the reinforcing ring should be a */minimum/* radial thickness of 5% of the hole diameter and the height of the reinforcing should be a */minimum/* of 6 times the shell thickness. Somehow this simple formula should be put into the ABS Hull calc tools. I.e. a 20” diameter hole should have a 1” thick ring 24” should be 1.2”. We could also just add a sheet to the existing ABS calcs, I’ll send a sample so you can have a play. We need Cliff to check it. Regards, Hugh