From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Monday, 5 April 2010 12:34 p.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

Hugh,

It sounds like there should be some adjustment for the hull thickness
when calculating the minimum radial thickness, otherwise you've got a
constant that does not take operating depth (required thickness (Tr))
into account (as the height calculation does). Should it be 5% of the
hole diameter plus the thickness of the hull?

Jon

Hugh Fulton wrote:

> Jon, I have been thinking about hull penetrations for hatches and
> windows and looking at ASME / ABS. There is a very simple rule of
> thumb that the reinforcing ring should be a */minimum/* radial
> thickness of 5% of the hole diameter and the height of the reinforcing
> should be a */minimum/* of 6 times the shell thickness. Somehow this
> simple formula should be put into the ABS Hull calc tools. I.e. a 20"
> diameter hole should have a 1" thick ring 24" should be 1.2". We could
> also just add a sheet to the existing ABS calcs, I'll send a sample so
> you can have a play. We need Cliff to check it. Regards, Hugh

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281