[PSUBS-MAILIST] Stainless Welding Question

Hi All,

Finally i am getting on with my sub again and am ready to install all the through hulls into the hull.

The plans call for welding all the stainless parts in with stainless wire.  309L if i remember correctly.

Speaking to some very experienced welders here, they tell me to weld the parts in using ordinary wire.  One of the guys is a shipbuilder and he says they weld all the ship I/O spigots using ordinary mild steel wire as it is less likely to crack.

As long as its 70,000psi wire, does it really matter?  Of course there is the corrosion issue, but the parts will be painted anyway along with the rest of the hull.

I suspect the answer to this will be to use stainless wire but i would like to know why its needed.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
James