RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: Periscope - Cameras

I chose a good quality camera for rear/top view and getting a decent monitor as I have never seen many faces on TV reality cop shows where you can recognise the bank robbers and quite frankly when I get to the surface and see a launch 200 meters away, travelling at 20 knots, I want to know if it’s the bow or the stern that I can see!  Also IF I come up and there is a good looking chick sunbathing topless I dont want blurred vision.  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, 18 February 2010 7:18 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: Periscope - Cameras

I did a quick search for CCTV cameras. This seems the simplest way to go for a "periscope" camera.

There's a TON of them available at a fairly low cost. They are compact and can be plugged right into a small monitor inside the sub, or fed through a recorder or PC. Pretty low tech.

The problem is picture quality. The better the picture.....the higher the cost. We've all seen the crummy video pictures of robbers in a 7-11 store. These are the "cheap" cameras. They can be had for $40 or so. A good picture will run about $150. A small monitor, say 10" X 10" is another $150, plus cables and "stuff".

You'll spend way more making the housing than the cost of the camera.

An cast acrylic tube one inch thick by 10 inch diameter and 6 inches tall runs up to $1000. ( OUCH!!!)

Is there a place to get a 10X10X6 acrylic block that can be machined into a tube or small dome ? I haven't found a place yet.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4872 (20100216) __________

http://www.eset.com