Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: Periscope - Cameras

I did a quick search for CCTV cameras. This seems the simplest way to go for a "periscope" camera.
There's a TON of them available at a fairly low cost. They are compact and can be plugged right into a small monitor inside the sub, or fed through a recorder or PC. Pretty low tech.
The problem is picture quality. The better the picture.....the higher the cost. We've all seen the crummy video pictures of robbers in a 7-11 store. These are the "cheap" cameras. They can be had for $40 or so. A good picture will run about $150. A small monitor, say 10" X 10" is another $150, plus cables and "stuff".
You'll spend way more making the housing than the cost of the camera.
An cast acrylic tube one inch thick by 10 inch diameter and 6 inches tall runs up to $1000. ( OUCH!!!)
Is there a place to get a 10X10X6 acrylic block that can be machined into a tube or small dome ? I haven't found a place yet.
Frank D.