Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB conformance with COLREGS WAS home-built strobe location beacon

Ex coast-guard here (Canadian), with some experience in enforcement of COLREG compliance.

Rule 22 c/d demarcation would likely depend on whether the submarine was operated solely as a tender in close proximity to an appropriately marked surface vessel while operating in the surfaced mode, or if operated independently to the extent that some distance between the surface vessel and submarine was expected, sufficient to create a situation in which the vessel's intentions may not be clear to another mariner, creating a hazard to navigation. If you intend on surface running independently from any surface support, light for 22 (c).

As for strobes, note that a white strobe constitutes an internationally recognized distress signal in inland waters, and are discouraged as signals to attract attention in international waters due to their propensity to overwhelm navigation lighting, possibly confusing other mariners as to a vessel's intentions. White strobes are typically employed only as emergency signals or as markers on stationary or drifting objects not underway (hence their use on EPIRBs, datum marker buoys used by SAR services, and personal distress beacons). A blue strobe denotes a government vessel (Coast Guard, Navy when lights are displayed, etc.). Yellow strobes (or yellow quick-flash) are used to denote ACVs (hovercraft). Any other colour of strobe is not specifically addressed by the rules, other than the fact that it must not be confused with any other established vessel signal or aid to navigation, and are generally discouraged on vessels underway due to the obfuscation of other lighting. Area modifications may address submarines, and I have heard of the use of some manner of flashing (possibly strobe) red light for this purpose, but this is neither addressed in the International COLREGs nor the Canadian modifications, so I can't comment further.

For the surface vessel tending the submarine, lights and dayshapes must be displayed for a vessel restricted in its ability to maneouver, in addition to the lights normally required under Rule 22 (C). This consists of a 360 degree arc Red/White/Red, or ball/diamond/ball dayshapes. Additionally, the international code flag Alpha may be displayed, denoting a vessel engaged in diving operations.

-Sean

Jay K. Jeffries wrote:

Jon,

It has been years since I sat for my Captain's exam and don't remember what is in each Rule. Could you please provide a link that I can review? Thanks!.

Lights will be a consideration for Ft. Pierce water operations especially if there are night operations. Accommodations and dock space are right next to a US Coast Guard Station so we will also have to display the correct shapes, flags, and lights on attending surface vessels to denote "Conducting submerged operations, restricted in maneuverability" and these must be visible from 360° around the dive site.

R/Jay