From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:38 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] home-built strobe location beacon

Jay,

I don't see anything in COLREGS specific to submarines except that naval submarines have various exemptions and customized lighting as deemed reasonable.  I believe the ABS requirement for a location device is limited to just that, aiding in location of a sub that has surfaced.

However, you make a good point about COLREG lighting which is a requirement we haven't talked about much.  If Rule 22(d) applies to small subs then things are not too bad.  But if we fall under Rule 22(c) then we should probably be looking at some reasonable solutions that will survive a bit of external pressure.

Jon