Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] home-built strobe location beacon

In a message dated 1/10/2010 3:07:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, jonw@psubs.org writes:
http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567801/strobelightproject/
Hi Jon. Nice job on the strobe light.
The cost difference in pipe versus caps is because the pipe is extruded while the caps are cast in a mold.
Still, $7 for a cap seems like a lot.
We used the clear PVC pipe ( back when I was still working ) as a secondary containment system for pipe which carried acids. If the inner pipe leaked, the outer clear PVC pipe caught the leak before it dripped onto someone or something.
The inner pipe was special stuff to resist acids and was VERY expensive. A cap for the inner pipe was closer to $35 each. A 10 ft. length of the pipe ran well over $100 for the 1 inch stuff.
The clear PVC containment pipe was usually 3 or 4 inch diameter and there are little doughnuts that keep the inner pipe centered.
I've been contemplating some ideas for underwater lighting near the main view port on my sub. I've found some LED arrays that have 60 LED bulbs arranged in a tubular shape, and they have a screw-in base.
I wonder if cannibalizing a large flashlight for it's reflecting parabolic disk would help focus the light into a more contained beam shape.
My current design ( as built ) has a socket on each dive plane where I'll insert a regular scuba type dive light. Self contained with Duracells, they will be switched on at the start of the dive, inserted in the dive plane socket, and left on while submerged.
When the dive is over, pull them back out and install new Duracells.
If it works as planned, a later update will be to machine some stainless housings that fit the same sockets, install high intensity bulbs, and run power from inside the sub.
The new Halogen bulbs available in auto stores are very bright. The H4 type I use in my old Harley would work pretty good. The biggest problem is the heat generated. Remember Phil's Deepworker lights ? They could only be turned on once submerged ( for cooling ) or they'd burn out.
The bench demonstration of their LED array in the shop looked good. I think the array had 25 bulbs in it.
Much less heat generated with LED's.
Frank D.