Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] home-built strobe location beacon

Hi Frank,

Cannibalizing a reflector of some kind would work as you suggest, but the problem is that it would also produce a narrow lobe of light direction rather than being omni-directional. For surface location you want the strobe or other light to be as omni-directional as possible since you can't ever know how the sub will be configured (directionally) when it surfaces. Most LED's suffer from the same problem in that they usually have a narrow angle of illumination. This is perfect for directed light like a flashlight, but even hi-intensity LED's lose effectiveness at extreme angles of viewing. You can see this especially well on emergency vehicles that use LED light bars or window flashers. If the emergency vehicle is directly behind you the effect is great and you can't miss them coming. But walk to the side of the vehicle a few feet and they lose their effect. However, your point is well taken. The strobe kit I purchased is intended to be installed in the headlights and taillights of emergency vehicles, which of course have nice reflectors that intensify the light.

A Fresnel lens or magnifying lens would go a long way to distributing the light and making it appear brighter by directing it within some confined angle. Some of the aviation beacon lenses are designed like that, but I couldn't find any specs on material thickness. And because they are all sort of egg shaped, it wasn't clear to me how much external pressure they would take. I'd have to buy a few and field test them.

I could also try frosting the pipe a bit to see if that helps. Even by themselves they are quite bright. Perhaps someone going to the 2010 convention will offer to install the strobe so we can check out the effectiveness on the water in daylight and dusk conditions.

Jon

shellydalg@aol.com wrote:
I wonder if cannibalizing a large flashlight for it's reflecting parabolic disk would help focus the light into a more contained beam shape.

The bench demonstration of their LED array in the shop looked good. I think the array had 25 bulbs in it.
Much less heat generated with LED's.
Frank D.