From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of
MerlinSub@t-online.de
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 1:56 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Engine intake and exhaust-Carsten?

Hi

www.euronaut.org/content/gfx/equipment/0.jpg

www.euronaut.org/content/gfx/equipment/5.jpg

www.euronaut.org/content/gfx/equipment/6.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVdmv0w3S0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT7i05s92ak&feature=related

Its a conus flap on a exenter.
Seals are two rings from graphite in the conus face.
Hand or/and electric driven. With a indicator of the position.

If you turn the flap 90 degree - the conus turns his face into seat
direction
and during the rotation the exenter-axis press it into the seat.
Clever design.

I pressurise it during at test with water to 42 bars (equal to 1400feet
depth)
without problems. Its design for hot exhaust system like mine.
I don't like seawater pipes in my boat so I go for a hot system.
Insulate stainless steel pipes.

Flap it's 5 inch in diameter and available for
underwater exhaust sytsem of bigger commercial boats.

vbr regards Carsten

"Never build something yourself if you can purchase it cheap.."

"Antoine Delafargue" <antoine.delafargue@gmail.com> schrieb:
> Hello all,
> I have been wondering about this issue too. I don t know what Carsten uses
> on his sub, but here is what I found on the web:
> If you go for a 'dry' exhaust where there is no cooling water injected at
> the exhaust manifold of the engine, then the gases will be way too hot
(450+
> degrees celsius) for the typical elastomer seals located in isolation
> valves. The inside of the sub would be hot and noisy too.
> If you go for a 'wet' exhaust with cooling water injected in the exhaust
> manifold, you d have a sea water loop to look after (which I think Carsten
> does not have any of in his boat) but the temperature at the isolation
valve
> of the exhaust should be lower, in the range of 80-90 degrees celsius
(still
> high enough to wonder about thermal stress and fatigue issues).
> The other thing is that the exhaust including the isolation valve on the
> hull need to be of a large diameter (1-2" ?) to prevent a raise of back
> pressure at the outlet of the engine, detrimental to its life and
> performance.
>
> regards
> Antoine
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Brian Cox <
> ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> >  Hi Frank,  Just a few thoughts,  I was thinking that if I made downward
> > turns at the end of the pipes and then put a valve there, I wouldn't
have to
> > worry about draining any water since it could not get in.  Except for
the
> > point you made about condensation.  On the diesel lines, maybe a fuel
> > bladder so no water vapor would be present.  I like your idea using the
> > outboard and I think that is a good approach - except I want more power
> > !!    I was going to put a stack fairly high up in the air to get away
from
> > any splash.  The cooling system, the lines would not need to be locked
> > out, as they would not be open the outside pressure, although it would
be
> > easy enough to do.
> >
> > Brian

Throttle
> > will be another simple actuator or maybe just a quick disconnect cable
> > running through a small ( 3/8 inch ) thru-hull with a ball valve.
> > The outboard is small enough to fit through the hatch, and the fuel tank
(
> > gasoline ) will be small too.
> > A 20 horse Mercury outboard looks to just fit, and is light enough to
pick
> > up easily.
> > Typically the outboard will not be carried inside the sub but I want it
> > fit just in case. I expect to always have a surface boat with me, unless
> > it's just playing around in a lake for the day. The outboard would be
> > un-mounted from the sub and placed in the surface boat when diving.
> > I've often thought about how to add a diesel powered "module" to my sub
> > that would be more or less self contained in it's own pressure vessel
but
> > connected by a couple of electrical thru-hulls for engine controls and
> > system monitoring. In the current design it would be basically a
pressure
> > vessel split in half with mating flanges, hard valves on
> > intake/exhaust/cooling water,  and the prop would be on a magnetic
coupler.
> > Of course, being the dreamer that I am, the concept quickly evolved into
> > pressure cabin, fuel tanks, gen set, extra battery banks, bunks, galley,
and
> > head stretching the thing to 24 feet long !
> > I think I showed you the concept sketch once when you visited.
> > Anyway, good luck with the diesel and keep us informed as the design
> > progresses. It sounds very interesting.
> > Frank D.

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG