[PSUBS-MAILIST] Std. Aux. Thru-Hull Penetration

Should I ever get around to actually build my own submarine, one of these
through-hull flanges ...

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/personal_submarine/standards/flanges.jpg

... is one of the things I'll have available within the casing, and solely
earmarked for experimental purposes.

Inside the pressure hull I would copy Frank and use a ball valve (or maybe
a proper gate valve that could do the job of a shear-ram).

The only thing missing would then be to dress a blind flange with whatever
through-hull gadget required for a specific test to be conducted.

Should somebody else choose the same type and size of flange... then we
could eventually end up with a standardized auxiliary through-hull
penetration (without having to commit ourselves to anything other than
maybe just that).

Anyone interested would soon enough find out what to do to fit their stuff
for testing through any of those versatile test holes, anyway.

Even if all of the flanges were different, too.

In the end it would be sufficient to know that a submarine had a vacant,
flanged penetration for you, somewhere...

Besides, such customized blind flanges (complete with their connectors,
fittings, etc. installed) should be made so they could be mounted
backwards onto an identical flange, and pressure tested in the workshop
prior to hook-up on any submarine.

Best regards,
Jens Laland

** I'd like to point out that this standard is really only useful for those
** people who do not intend to have their own dedicated comms in their sub
** and who wish to "borrow" one for things like the convention.  If you have
** your own dedicated comm system then it is a moot point and you can use any
** bulkhead connector or feedthru which suits your fancy.
**
** Al