Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

I'd like to point out that this standard is really only useful for those people who do not intend to have their own dedicated comms in their sub and who wish to "borrow" one for things like the convention.  If you have your own dedicated comm system then it is a moot point and you can use any bulkhead connector or feedthru which suits your fancy.

Al
----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Wallace <jonw@psubs.org>
To: personal submersibles <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:07:22 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

Sean,

I don't expect home-builders to fabricate a mirror of the connector
either, but was just observing that if we measure a unit and publish the
physical dimensions then someone who was so inclined to do so, could
potentially do so.  I agree that cost is likely not an issue.  Alec got
us 20% off a single purchase which is pretty good, so I'm not sure a
group buy is even an issue here except that we can get another 5% if
more than 10 people commit to concept.  So far I count 4 who are likely
to purchase.  If necessary, the membership could authorize "PSUBS" to
purchase a couple of connectors to fill in the void and get the extra 5%
discount, and we could then just turn around and sell those to members
out of the PSUBS store whenever someone else needed a connector at a
future time.  I don't think we have enough money to purchase bunches of
them, but we could do a couple to get us over the 10 mark.

I suspect Subconn is going to want to work with us as a group anyway to
effect the discount, otherwise they have no control over who calls and
orders a unit under the name of "psubs".  They might as well just cut
their retail price now 20%, or perhaps they just give anyone who asks a
20% discount.  In any event, I would like to talk with them further to
see what kind of a business relationship we can put together.  There are
probably other items they have that are of interest to the group.

Jon

Sean T. Stevenson wrote:
> Jon - I don't expect that a home builder would build a custom
> connector just to mirror something that is available off-the-shelf.
> More likely, a custom design would be to fulfill specific requirements
> of the designer that are not met by the commercial product, implying
> that it probably would not be compatible.  Cost could be an issue, but
> it seems unlikely for a one-off connector.  Also, how many members are
> considering this?  Is there enough quantity for a group buy?

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281