Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

Jon - I don't expect that a home builder would build a custom connector just to mirror something that is available off-the-shelf. More likely, a custom design would be to fulfill specific requirements of the designer that are not met by the commercial product, implying that it probably would not be compatible. Cost could be an issue, but it seems unlikely for a one-off connector. Also, how many members are considering this? Is there enough quantity for a group buy?

Sean

Jon Wallace wrote:

Yes, you are correct this will be the first hardware standard we adopt and I agree with your premise that it should be a quality connector that *could* pass certification muster. The standard is also marked as voluntary which allows for home-built units if someone wants to go that route. Of course, for compatibility with the standard, the home-built unit would have to be built to physically mate with the commercial unit. This means we not only need to standardize the pin-out, but also the geometrical layout of those pins and the dimensional properties of the connector for those who want to build their own.

Jon