Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] knife fish sub

John Perry started the sub raises in Riviera Beach back in the day, and the whole intent was just as you describe, to engage engineers (young and old) and motivate them toward new technologies, along with improvements on the tried and true. I went to the first and third races (in the ocean off Palm Beach in those days). The excitement and enthusiasm was contagious. It was great fun.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Smyth, Alec <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 12:49 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] knife fish sub

In 2007 I made a video of the human powered sub races and there was a manta ray sub just like you describe, and it was an absolute work of art in terms of craftsmanship. See this segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MayiqdNPPU

In the following segment, there was a sub from Bath University like the knife fish device, and somewhat similar.

Both designs work, but it's very plain at the sub races that nothing matches the efficiency of a prop. The manta and Bath subs moved at very, very slow speeds compared to prop subs. Prop subs are segregated into a separate category due to the performance difference. Nonetheless, these other propulsion methods are a great way to get creative with the engineering.

thanks,

Alec