RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Hugh,

The reason fins are on the forward section of larger submarines are twofold:

1.     For low speed operations the moment arm creates a larger force to change the course of the sub as compared to locating the planes on the sail.

2.     For under ice operations, the planes can be made to retract so as not to be damaged when surfacing through significant layers of ice.

A high-aspect ratio fin with a thickness of ~40% of the chord using a profile similar to a NACA 65-020 foil is most effective.  I have sketches from one of my classes if anyone is interested.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas