RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Frank, Thanks.   I‘ve just spent the morning on the lathe making new hydraulic motor mounts out of stainless.    I kind of like the look of the Hammerhead shark.  He has his dive planes way out in front!   That way they don’t need to be so big.  It wasn’t me on the snap roll thing.  I am still trying to get my head around that one. I think it may be something to do with the aerofoil shape.   Fish and larger subs all seem to have their dive planes forward of half way. Porpoises have two sets one at the 1/3 mark and then the other at the back.

I’ve got my money on your design being all right in the real.  Chs,  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: 13 September 2009 19:08
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

In a message dated 9/12/2009 9:30:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, hc.fulton@gmail.com writes:

I have uploaded a few photos of the internals and bits on the projects page under “Hugh Fulton”   Comsub.

Hi Hugh. I like the new pictures. That's a beautiful sub. Good luck on the re-fit.

    As for dive planes, I've always thought that unlike a surface boat, a submarine should have a kinda "fish" shape. The big Nuke subs are something like a whale and it's the most efficient shape.

    If you look at most fish they have little fins about midway down their bodies and they rotate the leading edges of those little fins much like we do with the dive planes on our boats. The big subs have them on the sail like you said to counteract the snap roll thing.

Some subs have dive planes in the back to act I assume like the tail on a whale. I know that's not very scientific but it's an observation.

Frank D.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4420 (20090912) __________

http://www.eset.com