Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No Machining Hatch Sealing Concept

Hi Glen. yes, the mouth of the groove is larger than the "O" ring. On mine, which is taken directly from the Parker book, the groove is just under 1/16 inch wider than the "O" ring rubber ( 1/4 inch round )
Of course, they measure it in thousandths and I don't have the info right here but that's pretty close.
The depth of the groove is smaller than the "O" ring so a little rubber sticks out.
The cross section of the groove measures enough square inches so that even when the hatch is pushed down metal-to-metal there is still empty space in the groove.
I could probably find the printed copy in my sub files but it's pretty long. Best bet is to just download it from their site. It's free and is there so people can design things using just the charts and different types of applications that need "O" rings.
Frank D.