Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No Machining Hatch Sealing Concept

Karl is a good case in point. Can you say O-ring? 1000 dives or so. O-ring on the hatch. No leaks. End of conversation. Now, where's that Parker Hannifin download?
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Hartwig <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Mon, Sep 7, 2009 6:19 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No Machining Hatch Sealing Concept

Hi Jon,  The square stock would give you a thicker base right off the bat.  It might be that my Sekaflex sealing means is best suited for subs that have a general operating depth of 300 fsw or less. But even if that's the case, it could work for a good number of subs. Peter isn't going that deep as you say. But I suspect the weak point on his subs, are not the hatch sealing means. His hatch sealing arrangement might be able to take a lot more then 100 fsw. You could add another square ring to create another gland, and install a second thick O-ring to more or less split up the load on the O-rings, until/or unless the pressure becomes enough to make the hatch and hatch land go metal to metal. You could make the interior O-ring a harder durameter hardness, and make the exterior one a little larger cross section size and softer for sealing more easily at the surface, as is done on the SEAmagines.  One example of a primary and secondary seal on a hatch using thick O-rings is this one.

http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/No%20Machining%20Hatch%20Sealing%20Concept%2055/Concept%2056/Double%20O-ring%20Large.jpg

In my concept I can see you don't really need to make the welded on rings SS, since there and not any sharp corners to try to keep paint on. I do prefer the SS, but mild or cold rolled round rod stock I think would work just fine.  I liked the round stock instead of the square stock, since to start with it gives you a undercut area to put a weld bead in, and there was no corners, which made entry and exit nicer. Not to mention the shape of the upper rings, where they mold into the Sekaflex is a better shape for that purpose. But for a design like Peter has, when adding one or more O-rings, I currently like the square stock. Also consider that these metal round rod rings are under mostly a compressive load.

The upper sealing rings in my first concept model are seating them selves in a relatively soft material, so I was thinking that would relieve some of the localized stresses on the upper rings.  The surface area of the hatch that does translate into downward force to the hatch land, as I currently see it, is always going to out strip the pressure that is going into the gap between the hatch and hatch land until it goes metal to metal under extreme pressure. Also being that there are two upper rings, and that they are in a arch, they are a lot stronger then say if the rods went in a straight line. It might be a good idea to lay in larger weld beads there. I was just thinking of putting less heat there, and doing a fast TIG bead. But since a thicker weld bead might be better, and this whole arrangement was designed for a lower cost sub, perhaps a TIG machine wouldn't be an option. So a MIG or stick bead, that could easily be larger, could be used.

For more support, and a larger area to spread out the forces on the cured urethane sealant, you might like this below model better. It's using 1/2" round stock for the upper sealing rings. I also removed a quarter inch of the upper hatch plate thickness. Since in that configuration your adding a lot of metal, and part of the reason for that plate being as thick as it was, was to allow for the gland to be cut into it, and not unduly weaken it. So since the gland is not being cut and you want a lighter hatch, I removed the material.  Look at the hatch on Idabel. It doesn't even need a lift spring, it's so lite.  He did put in a conical hatch seating surface however.  Idabel's hatch land is also very thin.

 http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/No%20Machining%20Hatch%20Sealing%20Concept%2055/Concept%2056

Regards,
Brent