RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar Testing

Jens,

  The buoy to which I was referring was large, fat, dark black and had large wings such as an aircraft. Its cable allowed it to glide to shallower depths as the sub cruised deeper. It never actually reached the surface. The cable, although it was used to control how far out and hence how shallow this object was allowed to go, was also used as part of the radio antenna for picking up radio messages. It was tethered out with the use of a hydraulically controlled drum that when turned allowed for the releasing and capture of this buoy. Once arrested within this storage cavity, it rested on large rubber shock mounts. During periods that this buoy was deployed, the ships speed was restricted so as not to loose or damage this buoy.
   This method when used on a ROV would first deploy the unit to the length of tether intended. Once fully deployed the ROV would perform its intended investigations. To stow the unit back within its housing, it would position itself above the submarine at the extreme end of the deploying interface cable and allow the sub to retrieve it via cable spool mechanism. Once stowed against the seating rubber shock pads, the doors would once again close and the submarine could transit at any speed desired.

                                                                                                        David Bartsch