Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoy release

Cousteau's sub was 2 centimeters, converted to 3/4" for convenience to an American audience. It was a true ellipse, 2 meters by 1.5, and had no rib support inside or outside. They calculated and tested to 1000 meters empty (losing hull number one in the process) and then dove it to 300 meters for many years, figuring a 3 to 1 safety margin. A long time later, while the sub was being overhauled, they x-rayed again, installed strain gauges and retested for test depth, increasing the operational depth from that year on to 400 meters (call it 1350 feet). It was the first true modern submersible, of course, and stands today as a usedful design. Technology would change it if someone were doing another one (viewports, penetrators, hatch, etc.) but it was and still is a hell of a concept for doing what it was designed to do, which was to dawdle on the bottom, filming and learning.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, Aug 12, 2009 1:12 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoy release

Hi Vance. Ya, big safety factors are better than little ones for sure.
If I had this to do over, I'd have started with thicker tank heads. At least gone to 1/2 inch.
Jacques Cousteau's little sub was 3/4 inch thick and I have no idea how the stiffener ribs were set up, but it made dives to 1000 feet.
With all the lead ballast I have to add to get this little bugger to sink, I'd have been better off to start with thicker heads. Well....coulda-shoulda but here I am and there I go. For now, I'll just stay in shallower water and get my training out of the way. If it turns out it's as much fun as I anticipate, the learning experience will make the next sub even better.
If the sub turns out it won't go that deep, I'll cut in a few more windows and use it for a harbor taxi/glass bottom boat.
Maybe the next one should be made from stainless tank heads, then I wouldn't even have to paint it, plus I could polish it up and make it look like chrome !!!!
Think I could put a Harley motor in there for a main thruster?
Jeez, I better get off this computer, I'm startin' to get dizzy!
Frank D.