Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoy release

Hi Jon. That's about what I came up with without ribs. My number was 326 feet but again, I'm no math whiz.
I haven't done any calculations on the ribs yet because I'm still designing the final interior space layout, but I have a general design in mind where the ribs are located in areas where impact and overall pressure apply the most stress. The ribs radiate out from the hatch ring which sticks down into the sub 4 inches. The ribs so far will be made from 1/2 inch by 4 inch plate cut to fit the inside curvature. I won't be using the "T" shaped ribs but instead am leaning toward "ladder" type stiffener bars between the ribs. I know that's not as strong as the "T" shape but fabrication will be a lot easier and maintenance tasks like grinding and re-painting will be much simpler. I'm trying to keep the whole corrosion problem to a minimum and having just straight ribs will make it possible to get a small grinder down in there if any rust starts to develop. That and I want to be able to inspect the whole inside/outside surface regularly without disassembling anything.
Additional plate ribs will be added around the window openings, and the floor will have a grid pattern creating pockets for lead ballast bricks. Two main ribs running front to back across the bottom will be used as stiffeners, backing for the keel mounts, and runners for the reclining bench seat and sliding ballast weight.
My friend who ran the numbers thinks that with the stiffeners I roughed out for him, the crush depth is just over 900 feet, not counting the windows. That seemed a little high ( deep ) to me, but like I said, I'll not be going very deep until I get some good reliable data on just what this pressure hull is able to take.
Thanks for running those numbers. I'll tell my buddy his calcs were confirmed by the "expert" in the club. Frank D.