Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoyancy

Hi Glen. I like the lift bag idea and believe it has real merit.
On shearing off a thruster motor, it just seems to me that a release "mechanism" would be more dependable. I think Brent is working on a design to allow his side thrusters to break free.
The best approach might be to prevent the sub from getting snagged in the first place. I have a couple of pictures of Hugh's new Comsub and it's a beautiful boat. Very sleek and judging by the few photos I have, it's got very few places where it can get tangled up.
The advantages of making the boats smooth include not only snag proofing but more efficient ( faster ) and less power to move them. This helps conserve battery power for longer dive durations on a charge.
The Minnkota thrusters I'm using are the 101's, but I'm not sure how that rating actually relates to "push power". It says 101 pounds of thrust but even a small line like heavy fishing line could stop that.
The most vulnerable snag point on my sub is the rear thruster/rudder components. There are two of them side by side and they swivel as a unit giving me vectored thrust. I have prop guard rings built as rudders/tangle guards and will be installing additional tangle guards in front of the components, but the idea of "jettisoning" them sounds pretty good.
The swivel point on them is basically just a 1 inch stainless rod mounted vertically in a stainless tube with a 1/2 inch bolt holding them in the tube. If I replaced the bolt with a removeable pin through the rod, the thruster/rudder assembly could simply drop out and fall away from gravity.
The side thruster/dive plane assembly is not much different, except it's horizontal and uses 2 inch stainless bar stock and tube rather than the 1 inch like the back.
Here again, a 1/2 inch bolt retains the connecting rod in it's tube so replacing the bolt with a pin would be fairly simple. Getting the assembly to slide out of the tube should be just a matter of "rocking" the sub a little until it gets pulled out by whatever it's snagged on. Vance has a good idea here, and I'm seriously considering making that change. The addition of three small thru-hulls for a hydraulic cylinder to pull the pins isn't much work and making the wire connection as a "break away" won't take much either. The rest of the sub is very smooth and I can't see where anything can hook on. The keel/drop weight is smooth, and the FRP fairings cover up all the other little nooks and crannies where something might get stuck. These fairings are very strong with most of it at 3/8 inch thick ( 9 layers of hand laid glass ) and the stress points and impact zones run up to 1-1/2 inches thick.
I did a study of how and where it's possible to smash into something, where the impacts can occur, and designed the areas open to impact to transfer the forces into the support structures so this little bugger should be able to take a real beating without getting damaged.
I like to use the word "robust" when describing the design. It really is a tough little guy.
The sub weighs about 7000 pounds, and when you add the ballast tanks full of water, there's a LOT of inertia there if it hits an object like a rock that isn't going to move.
Not much of the pressure hull is exposed, the ballast tanks which make up a lot of the exposed area are 12 gage stainless and shaped so they will dent rather than rip, and the FRP fairings are strong but also quite flexible. I put "bumper" impact ribs along the most likely areas to get hit, built up the fiberglass to 1 inch thick and added gusset stiffeners behind them. It's pretty amazing just how strong these things are.
The flexibility of the glass makes it a good choice for this application, and the light weight relative to strength  keeps the center of gravity very low for the sub.
On the scale model tests I did, the sub was held under the water upside down and when released it immediately flipped over before it had risen an equal distance to it's height.
Now model testing can only get you so far, so open ocean sea trials will show me just how well the design actually performs, but I'm pretty sure it will be stable and should survive some serious impacts without damaging any critical components. If the FRP gets hit hard enough it WILL break, but it's pretty easy to patch that stuff, and using the old one as a mold, it would be easy to make a complete replacement fairing.
The dive plane wings which are the most likely to get damaged are built with a " break away " zone and also there to protect the side motors. I didn't put prop guards on the side motors because the Minnkota props are plastic and should shear off fairly easily if impacted, plus they are Minnkota designed to cut weeds or kelp and are pretty much tangle free in their shape. Even if a rope was to get tangled around them, they will either snap the flute or shear the small retaining pin holding them on. The dive plane wings are mounted in such a way as to protect the motors from direct impact, the FRP wings can break off leaving the motor attached to the sub, and the motor mounts with the 2 inch bar stock swivel joints are plenty strong. Now if I was to add the ability to release the motor assembly, the possibility of a snag or entanglement would be minimal.
Frank D.