Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoyancy

Hi Glen. In principle that should work, but in practice it may be harder to implement. If you made something "breakable" and it got worn down or weakened over time, would it still work?
My thrusters don't penetrate the hull (except for the electrical wires) so a breakable shaft is still possible, but I'd be concerned about reliability.
My thoughts gravitate more toward a release mechanism rather than a planned " failure point".
With a breakable shaft, maybe you bump into something like a rock or even the dock, and there goes your thruster.
My rear motor/rudder mounts could be adapted so they could drop free with the removal of a pin where there's a 1/2 inch stainless bolt right now.
The side thruster/dive planes could be modified in much the same way. Other than those two places, there's no where on my sub to snag something. It's pretty smooth on the outside. I need to get some pictures up for you guys, but it doesn't look much like a K boat. I have eliminated the legs/skids because of the snag hazard and replaced it with a smooth keel shape which doubles as the drop weight and has some rollers in it for moving the sub on land and launching from a trailer. Not really anywhere to grab on that thing.
Frank D.