Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aqua Jet Cutting My 2" Acrylic Viewport

Brent,

Remember that the high conversion factor addresses all potential short comings of the window. If you have weaknesses in multiple areas you may find that your safety factor isn't really quite as high as the raw numbers would suggest. The dimensions of the taper you provided do seem small, however you didn't answer whether the water jet machine can cut true without any taper at all. However slight, I'm not sure I understand why anyone would accept a taper if indeed the machine can cut a 90 degree edge. Especially when paying $90/cut.

In reference to not having side walls on the viewport seat, I can only say that Stachiw makes no mention of such in his book and all the recommended seating arrangements he provides for flat disc viewports include appropriate dimensioned side support. Do you know if a seat without side walls and simply using a retaining ring to maintain centering has been adopted by ASME PVHO specifications?

Jon

Brent Hartwig wrote:

*Hi Jon,*
** *I would just cut the window a small amount over size to make sure that there is at least enough material for the window specks with a little more, then make your metal seat accordingly. that way you have the full spec seating surface and acrylic disk size. How far away the side walls are is not really a concern to me, as long as the seat is designed to handle the load required of it. Since most the higher stress area is transferred to the inner area of the seating ring. Besides so many of are windows have a FOS of 8 so we are covered.* ** *For example, my original forward viewport had a OD of 16", and it's seating area had a OD of 16 3/16", giving 3/32" of room to play with. That is more then enough room to deal with a very small tapper I have of 0.012" / 0.31 mm in a 2" thick cut.* ** *You don't even need the side walls on the seat as long as the retaining ring can keep the viewport centered. For example, Idabel's lower forward flat viewport.*
*
Regards,*
*Szybowski*