RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aqua Jet Cutting My 2" Acrylic Viewport

Hi Jon,

I suspect a 3 axis machine that can tilt the head as the part is cut to deal, with a known tapper angle using a specific tip, cut rate, garnet feed rate, and material thickness might be available. But I don't currently know of a specific machine. I'll have to search a bit. If one needs a perfect 90 degree cut so you can machine it with a lathe, CNC router, or rotary table mounted on a drill mill, a aqua jet machine can rough cut your acrylic at a much faster feed rate, which would be much cheaper. But for that one can simply rough cut them out with a band saw, or jig saw. Which would be cheaper.  You can also cut metal parts out this way, but it nice to just have them water jet, laser cut, or plasma cut out on a CNC machine if you have the CAD drawings, funds, and local shop that can do it for you.

Also in some areas it may be hard to find a large enough lathe or rotary table drill mill set up to machine are larger windows, so that could be a important factor in deciding to have them water jet cut.

When I get home I'll have to look thru that Stachiw book and PVHO data I have more and see what I can learn about side wall issues.  I see so many flat windows and domes that don't touch the side walls, so I figured they were mostly for centering and extra strength for the welded in supports.  If you do a window like some plate thru hulls that have no side walls, that are designed with enough strength to deal with the load, that is what I was thinking of.  I like the side walls in many applications. But as we know there are many aps and PVHO configs. to choose from.

Regards,
Szybowski