RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aqua Jet Cutting My 2" Acrylic Viewport

Correction, I looked at my notes and it took about 30 minutes to cut the 2" thick viewport to a 15" OD.

Szybowski

From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aqua Jet Cutting My 2" Acrylic Viewport
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 23:01:36 -0700

Thanks Jon,   Ya I don't know about the exact stress issues either, so I'll be annealling any windows cut this way until more favorable data is available for are specific applications. Most the basic flat viewports I've seen have a little bit of a gap between the OD of the acrylic and the side walls of the welded in seat, so I don't see the tiny bevel as being a real issue. We just need to make sure there is a little gap or one might whind up having to lathe turn the part to make it fit.

The machine we used is just a basic 2 axis CNC machine, so it can't change the angle of the head as it cuts. Other machines might be set up for that.

I also need to find out what type tip and garnet feed rate we used, and add it to my data.

It took about 40 minutes to cut the 2" thick viewport to a 15" OD.

Regards,

Szybowski