Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic cylinder

Sean,

Thanks for that, I see the integer identifier on 753 now. I still have some confusion however since I'm not sure what information the number of lobes at collapse is supposed to tell me from a design perspective. I can extrapolate that there are more lobes at collapse for a smaller L/D value and a given t/D value. But so what? Does it matter how many lobes there are at collapse?

Looking at page 753, can you tell me if I am reading the chart correctly with the following information.
t/D = .04
L/D = .5
n=20,000 (approximately depending on how straight your eyes are)
psi = 770

Jon

Sean T. Stevenson wrote:
L in this case is the spacing between two adjacent stiffeners. There is no consideration of total hull length. (which makes sense, as a sufficiently stiff cylinder / stiffener combination can be repeated as many times as you like to create a hull of indeterminate length - buckling considerations aside). Thus, elastic instability of a cylinder supported by stiffeners spaced L apart considers only two stiffeners in all cases - at either end of an otherwise unsupported length of cylinder. The integer identifier above each arc segment on the graph is indeed the number of lobes anticipated at collapse, and you will note it is labeled as such in the plot on page 753.

-Sean