Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic cylinder

OK - I can understand the confusion, as Figure 13.15 puts a lot of information
in one diagram.  The each plotted curve corresponds to a t/D value, indicated
by a text label beneath each plot.  Each plot is a series of joined arcs, with
each curved segment corresponding to a particular number of lobes expected
during failure.  These are the text labels above each plot - omitted on a few
of the lower ones because the text would be too dense, but you can count in
from the edges.

The X coordinate is L/D as you surmised, but the Y coordinate is not pressure
- at least, not directly.  Actually, using your L/D value, look up to the
appropriate t/D plot (where you will find the number of lobes expected at
failure) and then read across to the Y axis, to get a value of "eta" used in
the following equation:

Pc = eta * 0.035
(Pc = eta * E * 10^-7 for non-acrylic material)

Where Pc is the short term critical pressure in psi.

Three separate plots are presented, but you can think of these as simply
stacking on top of one another.  The plot is log-log, showing two orders of
magnitude in X and six in Y.

-Sean