RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] KL-250's Syntactic Foam Data

Hi  Jon,

There is much figuring, FEA work, and actual unmanned testing to do before I'll know where I want to set my max operational depth to.  To develop a plan, I decided to shoot for 500, but it might end up being 350 or 450. I have the same basic tube and heads as the K-350. In text documents I received with my sub, Kittredge says "the elliptical steel ends to the pressure hull are designed to withstand a pressure of 763 feet".  I don't know how he did his figures, or if that was figured using A36 or A516 GR70. But I have some data that tells me those heads can take a fair bit more then that if they are made of A516 GR70.  The knuckle area is by far the weakest area on those heads.  Welding in supports in that area such as Carsten did on Euronaut may be needed to obtain a certain max depth.

A number of K-250's were built by Kittredge out of A36 before he changed it.  That means that the ones with A516 GR70 will be tougher.  I have a few more test to run in when I get the sub to Portland for it welding upgrades, but at the moment I have reason to believe mine is made of A516 GR70, except the support ribs of course.

I was also thinking about spacing the new ribs between the existing one today, and perhaps also double up the end ones. That might be a good way to go.  I'll have to look into it further.  I would be a bit tighter in regards to welding them in, even with the webs pre-welded to the flanges in stepped sections.  I had thought of welding the webs to the flanges with both parts being straight and flat, then taking them to be rolled.  I don't know if any one has tried this before.

If I can calculate and/or find some one that can calculate the strength that the syntactic foam would give me against external hydrostatic load, then I might just be able to use it to strengthen the space between the existing support ribs instead of adding the new ribs there.

Thanks for the input Jon.  Are you working up a acrylic tube calculator?  If so I think it would be well worth while.

Regards,

Szybowski