RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Urethane Coatings on Steel Ballest & Drop Weights

Hi  Jim and Sean,

I found some data from Rhino regarding using some of there industrial coatings for marine applications. Looks like the Rhino Hardline and Hi-Chem coatings are best for boat hulls.   I suspect that the basic Rhino coating will work ok for steel subs that live most of there lives in the garage if they have quality coatings under the Rhino coating.

"Rhino Linings formulations are tremendously versatile for marine applications. Each can be utilized on boats, ships, docks, decks, personal watercraft, trailers and more. All Rhino formulations provide a monolithic, airtight and watertight seal preventing rust and corrosion penetration. The linings also insulate vessels from noise and vibrations. Unlike gel coat, the Rhino TuffGrip formulation has a highly flexible, elongate-able membrane that allows the coating to stretch along with the deck’s surface. This flexibility ensures that its durable and long-lasting finish won’t creak or peel.

Rhino HardLine - Superior chemical resistance and protection against impact, abrasion and corrosion to deliver maximum protection and toughness. HardLine Applications - any surface requiring tough, hard protection, like boat hulls, propellers, dredge equipment, tipes, tanks, dry-dock patches

Rhino Hi-Chem  - Excellent stability for immersion applications and chemical resistance. Superior rifid formulation with highest amound of molecular cross-linking, Hi-Chem Applications - highyly corrosive marine enviroments, any application requiring protection from diesel, crude, oil, gas, chemicals, salts, or lye"

http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/gfGy6S44anlz/1211224947USA-Rhino%20Protects%20Marine%20Industry.pdf

Here is some Rhino data on using there Rhino Hardline coating on aluminum boats.

http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/gfGy6S44anlz/1242407822USA-Aluminum%20Jet%20Boat%20Hull%20-%20Alaska.pdf

Regards,

Szybowski